Monday, June 13, 2011

Love Letter Help

For almost two years I have written a love letter every night to my sweetheart.  Each one is as different as a snowflake and all of them come from the heart.  My mother asked me how I could possible think of something to say, everyday, to the one I love.  Love is like a fountain for me; it is a never ending flow of thoughts of how and what goes on in my mind and life that I like to share with my sweetheart.  Every day is different and each one brings with it different thoughts and experiences. I am not always in the same city as my sweetheart and there are long periods of time when we are unable to be together.  Writing to him every night is as much a journal as it is about our love.  Why not just pick up the phone?  Because both of us have a love for the written word.  It is more permanent and can be pulled back up and savored, over, and over.  Who remembers exactly what was said in a phone conversation? Most of us don't have the capacity to recall more than the gist of the conversation or a sentence or two.  When you write to the one you love you are committing to paper a memory that can be treasured.  The letters I get in return help get me through long days when I miss him terribly and I can go back and reassure myself that yes, he really does love me.  It is there in black and white.

The skill of letter writing has waned as other forms of communication have become available.  Communication is faster and has sped up to a point where simple abbreviations of words can sometimes form the entire exchange of thoughts and ideas.  Taking the time to write a letter is a way to take a deep breath and stop rushing around; take time to write down what is going on in your life and what you are feeling.  It doesn't mean that you need to hunt around for an envelope and postage; you can send it electronically, and it will still be warmly received.  There is something wonderful though about getting a letter in the mail that is very personal, especially when it is hand written.  It shows you care enough, and love the person enough, to take time out of your day and share your life with them.

This blog is going to focus on writing love letters, although all personal letters have many of the same elements, love letters get a special category all their own because they come from the deepest of all human emotions: Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment